Why You Should Clean Leather And Cloth Upholstery Differently
Most upholstered furniture is either leather or cloth, each requiring a different type of cleaning and maintenance approach. Keeping upholstery clean and hygienic is not only beneficial for your health but also for improving the shelf life of the furniture.
To keep them shining bright, you must seek the assistance of end of lease cleaners in Canberra who offer upholstery cleaning services. However, if you want to clean such items yourself, then read on to know why you should clean leather and cloth upholstery differently. Additionally, find tips for cleaning like expert cleaners.
Reasons Why You Should Clean Cloth and Leather Upholstery Differently
Employing the same methods for cleaning leather and cloth upholstery is a grave mistake that can cause irreversible damage. Whichever type of upholstery you have in your home, ensure they are cleaned differently for the following reasons.
- Since both are different types of materials, their composition and properties are dissimilar. By using the same cleaning method, you may get extraordinary results on one material, but the other might get damaged. For example, using a spot cleaning solution on fabric upholstery may be useful, but it can cause discolouration of the leather.
- You have to consider the cost of each material while cleaning because leather is usually expensive as it takes time to tan and age. Cloth upholstery is ready to use immediately after manufacturing, and depending on the thread count plus quality of the fabric, its cost varies. Thus, you have to follow a manufacturer’s guide to clean each type of material correctly to get optimum results and prevent damage to the upholstery.
- Leather and cloth upholsteries need maintenance differently, as well. The reason why cloth upholstery furniture and fixtures are preferred and commonly found in homes is that they are easier to maintain. Cloth upholstery doesn’t require cleaning as regularly as genuine leather which can crack, fade and look worn over time without special and regular care.
- However, when it comes to removing stains and spots, it is much easier to clean leather upholstery than cloth. You can wipe marks from leather upholstery smoothly and without elbow grease because the material is non-porous. Cloth upholstery absorbs spillage and stains quickly, which can be a problem when cleaning. You may need to invest more time and energy into cleaning fabric couch.
Tips for Cleaning Cloth & Leather Upholstery
Here are expert tips by professional end of lease cleaners in Canberra on how you can clean cloth and leather upholstery.
- When you have cloth upholstery in your house, it is best to take measure to prevent the fabric from becoming dirty or soiled. Make sure you get the right covers to help with the prevention of stains & spots.
- Vacuum the upholstery every week and immediately when it gets dusty. By vacuuming upholstery regularly, you can keep it clean, sanitary, and smelling fresh.
- Determine what type of upholstery you are cleaning by looking at the tag for codes. Professional end of lease cleaners in Canberra pay attention to the instruction to prevent damage to upholsteries they clean.
- For cleaning cloth upholstery mix ¼ cup white vinegar, ¾ cup warm water, and one-two teaspoon of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle. Shake the solution before use and spray on spots or stains, saturating them completely. Don’t rub the area as it can cause the stains to deepen, instead dab with a wet microfiber cloth to remove the stain and then dry it with a towel.
- To clean leather upholstery, mix ½ cup olive oil and ¼ white vinegar in a spray bottle. Use this solution to clean stains, spots and grime without stripping the leather of its natural shine and oils.
- For regular cleaning of leather upholstery, wipe it with microfiber cloth dampened with a cleaning solution of white vinegar and water in equal parts. After wiping the upholstery, you can condition it with mild oils like coconut, lemon, olive oil etc. after mixing them with white vinegar. Apply this solution on the entire upholstery in the night, and in the morning, wipe the upholstery with a dry microfiber cloth to buff the surface and make it shine.
- Hire professional end of lease cleaners in Canberra to clean your upholstered furniture and fixtures if they are heavily soiled and dirty. Professionals have the right cleaning supplies and years of experience to sanitise different types of upholsteries.
Cloth or leather upholstery and other items in your house need to be cleaned regularly to keep them clean and sanitary. In addition, it is necessary to sanitise them frequently to increase their shelf life and make them look as good as new. Cleaning these upholsteries differently is necessary. Thus follow the tips mentioned above to make your upholstered items presentable and appealing.