9 Cleaning Products That Are Dangerous To Combine
There are plenty of cleaning products available on the market, both chemical and green cleaners, to make your work easier. However, there is a misconception that mixing cleaning products can help prepare a more powerful solution to tackle grime faster.
On the contrary, combining certain chemicals or cleaning solutions can produce dangerous fumes, leading to respiratory disorders and skin infections.
So, it is always good to read the instructions on the product label to prevent further damage or health hazards. You can also hire professionals for a professional end of lease cleaning Canberra and claim your full bond back at the end of your tenancy.
If you have decided to do it yourself, keep this guide in mind and never mix these 9 cleaning products to avoid poisonous and toxic fumes. Read this guide and make smart choices when sprucing up your home.
Let’s Get Started!
1. Bleach and Ammonia
Undoubtedly, using store-bought cleaners with highly volatile organic compounds is dangerous to humans and the planet.
But what is worse? Of course, it is combining ammonia-based cleaners with bleach cleaners. Ammonia is commonly found in floor cleaners and window cleaning products, while bleach is a common chemical in laundry detergents and toilet cleaners.
Mixing these two harmful chemicals can produce a toxic fume that can lead to various health-related concerns, including:
- Serve coughing or shortage of breath
- Eye irritation or redness
- Skin irritation
It is always good to check the labels of your products before preparing a DIY cleaner at home. Also, read the instructions and avoid these chemicals for housekeeping chores.
2. White Vinegar and Bleach
Never mix chlorine bleach, such as Clorox bleach and white vinegar or cleaning vinegar to prepare a more effective solution. White vinegar is a powerful natural cleaner that can easily remove stains and grime.
However, mixing with bleach-based products can be dangerous. The chlorine gas produced by bleach and vinegar is colourless but can be lethal.
In serious cases, this can lead to breathing problems, watery eyes, and even lung damage.
Tip: Professional end-of-lease cleaners in Canberra recommend evacuating the area if you accidentally combine these two products.
3. Bleach and Rubbing Alcohol
Mixing sodium hypochlorite or bleach-based products and rubbing alcohol is poisonous as it produces toxic chloroform. It can cause a range of health problems, including:
- Loss of Consciousness
- Kidney and liver damage
- Even Death in severe cases
If you want to disinfect surfaces, use rubbing alcohol and water or cleaning products with at least 70% alcohol concentration. It can help you prevent germs and illness – boosting a good health at home.
4. Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide
According to cleaning experts, mixing equal parts of 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide and vinegar can form peracetic acid, which won’t cause any damage. This mixture can be effective for removing stains and disinfecting stainless steel surfaces.
However, combining vinegar with 5 per cent or more hydrogen peroxide can be harmful. This chemical reaction releases a huge amount of oxygen gas, which can hold pressure in closed containers and pose a fire threat. This combination can pose a danger to your lungs, eyes and skin.
Tip: If mixed accidentally, ventilate the area immediately and never store the mixture in confined jars and containers.
5. Different Brands of Drain Cleaners
Are you annoyed because of clogged drains in your kitchen and bathroom? Never make the mistake of pouring drain cleaners of different brands. This can produce a dangerous gas heavier than the air and lead to various health hazards.
Always buy the same kind of products to unclog and clean your drains. In fact, most people witness explosions when mixing two different brands of drain cleaners. So, be cautious!
6. Bleach and Store-Bought Mildew Stain Remover
The majority of mildew or mould stain removers contain acid and harsh chemicals. Combining bleach and mildew stain remover creates a chemical reaction, producing chlorine gas. This can lead to eye irritation, skin redness, lung damage, etc.
7. Bleach and Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Combining an acidic-based toilet cleaner with bleach can create unpleasant odours and dangerous fumes. It can cause various problems, including breathing issues, redness of eyes, coughing, etc.
It is good to read the labels to know toxic ingredients in cleaning products and make wise decisions by opting for green or eco-friendly choices.
8. Traditional Oven Cleaner and Bleach
Store-bought oven cleaners usually contain sodium hydroxide or lye that can react dangerously with bleach. It can release harmful fumes, causing coughing, breathlessness, nausea, and burning sensations.
Instead, use baking soda paste to remove built-up grease, gunk and grime while cleaning your oven.
9. Pool Chlorine and Acidic Cleaners
Mixing pool chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) with acidic cleaners, even white vinegar, can release toxic chlorine glass. It can be dangerous for pets, pregnant women and toddlers. So, seek medical assistance immediately if you accidentally mix these two when sprucing up your home.
You can also prefer hiring professionals for a detailed end of lease cleaning Canberra and get rid of stains and grime in a safe and sound manner. They use tried & tested products and always follow safety measures to help you get your bond back without any rental dispute or disagreement.
Removing stains, mould, grime, and germs requires different types of cleaning agents. However, you should never mix two harmful chemicals or cleaning products together. This guide will help you make the right choices while preventing from toxic fumes, odours and various health hazards.